Saturday, August 6, 2011

Ocean City Family Session (Philadelphia Area Family Photographer)

Awhile ago I was contacted by a friend to see if I would be interested in photographing her extended family at the beach. We were exchanging text messages and I have to admit that I thought it was a case of autocorrect when she said it would be about 50 people. Wow!

Of course I accepted the challenge and made the arrangements with her lovely mother in law to get all the details worked out. For weeks I thought through the possible arrangements of 46 people in a single shot on the beach. When the day finally arrived I was excited and admittedly a little nervous about getting that many people into one shot on the beach where conditions and surroundings can be unpredictable.

Unfortunately, the weather decided to make things even more interesting. About 45 minutes before our scheduled time MAJOR thunderstorms began to roll through. High winds and a lot of rain were pounding the area. Soon there was flooding. Weather reports said the storms would be fast moving, but after awhile, it was still raining. My client called and asked what my thoughts were about trying to do it inside their beach house. I headed right over because I knew how important it was to get the pictures done since family was there from overseas and Alaska, and that evening was the only time everyone would be there.

It took some furniture displacement, corralling all the little kids that were having a ball running around the empty room, and some wading through the flooded street by almost half the family, but we worked together to make it happen.


It was such a pleasure to work with this wonderful family! Even in hot, humid conditions, everyone was really great.

Thank you for trusting me with capturing this rare moment. I can honestly see why all of you enjoy getting together as often as possible.

No comments: